[AT] Subdivision Development

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Fri Dec 3 04:44:21 PST 2004

That issue (senior citizen tax) came up here a few years ago.  There is an
area close to where I live that used to be very rural and far from town
because it is across the river from town.  It is actually less than a mile
by boat.  In the 50's some folks built little cottages on big lots on the
river.  At the time they didn't have much value because they were remote
(had to drive way down the river and across the bridge to get to town).
Well, town has expanded to the point that eveyone has to drive way down
somewhere to get to down town and all of a sudden these little waterfront
cottages are bringing big money.  One of the county commissioners raised the
issue a few years ago, saying that old folks that had lived in these houses
for years should not be burdened with the tax increases based on what some
of the houses had sold for recently.  He said that there were some old widow
ladies living in some of those houses who had lived there for 40 years or so
and they shouldn't have to pay the higher tax rate until they sold out.

The county's cheif tax appraiser jumped up and said "if they can't afford to
pay the taxes they'll just have to sell out and leave!"  he continued "I
used to own a water front house and I had to sell mine"

Unfortunately the commissioner that raised the issue was in the minority
party.  The new tax rate was approved on a party line vote and most of the
old ladies are gone now.

The funny thing is that I keep telling them about my tractors and they keep
telling me they are too old to have any value (they can't find them in their
book) and take them off the tax registration.  That's fine with me.  I
stopped listing them.

Charlie