[AT] Mig welders for antique tractor sheet metal work??

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Thu Dec 2 03:57:16 PST 2004

	Dean, sometimes I think we get carried away with what we do
because of the difference between what we need and what we buy. IMHO,
this is something that can happen when you talk about welding and
welding equipment.

	I learned to weld with the help of many of the excellent and
capable welders on this List and while I am a long ways from being a
professional welder, I can certainly handle my own welding. It may not
look as nice as the welds good welders can make but none of mine have
ever broken - which is something.

	I have a good stick welder - a Lincoln AC/DC stick welder and
when the time came that I wanted a wire welder, I bought the Lincoln
Weldpak 100. I consider this to be a great little welder. It is easy
to set and easy to use. It handles a lot of welding I thought would
be better on the AC/DC welder and also is very easy to use on the light
weight stuff. I bought the gas option with it and to be honest with you,
have never used it without the gas. It was not cheap but then most of
the good welding stuff seems to be a little pricey anyhow. I think you
get what you pay for.

	I guess what I am saying is to let the pros who weld all the
time buy the super heavy duty equipment because they work at this all
the time and know how to handle it. Stick with the lighter equipment
and you will be happier in the long run.

	Mike Sloane also bought a Lincoln Weldpak 100 about the same
time I did. I think he likes his too.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson