[AJD] Mig welders for antique tractor sheet metal work??

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 22:22:45 PST 2004

The 110 volt Hobart Handler portable mig welders are
pretty good..  We have also had Miller and they were
less reliable.  We also have a Hobart Wire feed in the
shop and we replaced it with a bigger Miller.   The
110 welders from Hobart are pretty rugged and held up
the best to the average rental customer.  The Millers
(it's been about 10 years since we rented Millers now)
 were more fragile and less reliable.

  All in all,  I would not weld sheet metal with
either the small or large machines.. I would let
someone that was good at it do it..  I just don't have
the patience to work with thin metal and welders..
But I have seem lots of great work done with them in
the right hands.

     A good friend of mine has the 110v Lincon that
Home Depot sells,  and it works fine for him..  That
would probably be the least expensive option.

      As far as gas goes,  You can alway buy one that
will take gas and add the attachment later.   You can
buy some pretty decent wire with shielding built into
it these days and really not have to worry about the
gas.

                         Chris