[AT] Re:Underground Wire

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Fri Aug 13 17:26:07 PDT 2004

How many times have list members see the Dig Safe markings be several feet
off of where the actual utilities are actually located! A couple years ago they
ran all new underground cable lines in the town where I work. We averaged 4
calls a week for utilites struck by the contractor. At least 98% were due to
mismarked or unmarked utilities.

The ultimate call was when the cable contractor "found" an unmarked
electrical conduit. They called the power company out and after 30 minutes of
discussion determined that it was "abandoned" and said the cable contractor could use a
chainsaw to remove the piece in his way. We were told the flash was
spectacular when the saw cut through the still-live wires in the conduit. The guy
running the saw was transported to the hospital  for flash burns but, was fine.

After 2 weeks on the job, the contractor abandoned using equipment to dig and
just hired a bunch of laborers with shovels.  The job took a little longer
but any utilities they "found" didn't get disturbed.

So, I guess that any method to help identify the location of underground
utilities is probably money well spent.

Regards,
Karl

In a message dated 8/13/04 12:59:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,