[Farmall] Farmall C question

cliff king crawlerman1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 19:37:20 PDT 2004

In my garage, which I operate as a business, we don't guess. Put yourself in the customer's shoes standing there listening to someone tell you why the bill is outrageously high for a bunch of parts installed that didn't fix the problem. Use a test light and do some diagnostics instead of being a "parts changer at someone else's expense". I would lay odds on the condenser being bad. Practically every mag I overhaul has to have the coil and condenser replaced. The condenser is a miniature storage capacitor for the coil. The point set is simply a mechanically operated switch that turns the voltage stored on and off. I would say that 9 out of 10 mags have points that are ok, just need the mountains filed off to operate at the proper clearance. I could go into more detail as to the proper microfared capacity matching of the condenser to the number of windings that are in an ignition coil...but I'm afraid I would lose some of the more simple minded folk on the list.
Cliff

"soffiler at myeastern.com" <soffiler at myeastern.com> wrote:
In the trade, that's called "plug and chug". Take an
educated guess, replace parts, repeat as necessary until
problem is solved. It is generally considered a less
desirable problem-solving technique versus doing some basic
diagnostic work. I realize that sometimes it's just more
convenient, or less intellectually taxing, to use the plug
and chug approach.

Steve O.

From: "Jeff & Ginny Pomije"