[AT] Wire welder question

bwhdon acton at onramp.bz
Sun Aug 29 20:14:01 PDT 2004

I belive that duty cycle is usally rated on a 10 minute curve at the highest
amperage setting , and then decreases as you decrease the amps. It would be
nice to afford a machine that has a 100% duty cycle such as our Miller 250
at the shop, but unless your welding a lot of heavy metal with the welder,
droping the setting also drops the duty cycle time. I compared the miller
135 to the Hobart 140, both have the 20% duty cycle at there max. setting.
If I am going to take more than 2 minutes a weld on 1/4" I'll let the
machine cool down as needed. On 1/4 " steel 2 min should get me about a 6 to
8 " run.  I chose the 110 model mostly for sheet metal work so the duty
cycle won't play that much into the picture  I don't belive. Most auto
bodies aren't solid welded any more so spot welding , exhaust pipes etc.
won't need the amperage,  Ornimetal tubing and most Corral panels and stock
items are pretty thin so should do alright there.

I looked at the Miller 210 and the Hobart 210, but for my every day needs I
couldn't justify $1200.00 for a machine that I won't put to the 100% duty
cycle test on a daily bases. Sure it would look nice in the shop, but with
the left over cash , I can buy some other tools I need.

thanks for your imput on this , it is appreciated.

Don