[AT] Wire welder question

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 29 19:27:55 PDT 2004

--- "Larry D. Goss" <rlgoss at evansville.net> wrote:

> Fortunately, I have access to a much larger unit
> that can run 100% of
> the time, but I want to have that capability in MY
> shop also.
>
> Larry
Really am not so concerned with duty cycle with the
type of work most of us do.  30% will suffice for a
great deal of work.  You only need more than 60% if
your'e doing high speed production type work.  The set
up time between welds is really quite substantial for
most things when you stop and look at it.  The quality
and consistency of the weld is the thing I look for.
That's what I don't like about the Hobart.  I use a
commercial unit at work that is a real piece of ...
and I have a 110 Lincoln at home that though can't
handle the heavy stuff actually welds better.  The fab
shop I used to work at had mostly Millers (250's @ 60%
duty and one that was a little heavier and 100% duty)
with a few older units thrown in but not used much.
Have very little experience with 110 welders like
Century etc. so in the real light market I am in the
dark, so to speak.  Still, in general, you get what
you pay for.  Go for the best you can afford in all
the tools you use and you will be satisfied with them.
YMMV and you know what they say about opinions. :-)

=====
Dave Myers
Paw Paw, Michigan

Being crazy just helps me keep my sanity!