[Steam-engine] water level

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 08:51:10 PDT 2004

Thanks for the answer Andre.  There is only 1 soft
plug located in the top of the fire tube.  Our club
owns a stationary Kewanee boiler with the soft plug
like you mention.  The Kewanee soft plug is near the
top of the front tube sheet though.  I gues that I'm a
little unsure about the way it is now.  If there is
water in the glass at all then there is plenty over
the fire tube.  I will have to run it pretty highy in
the glass to insure that the top row of tubes is
always covered though.

http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/faq/simple/boiler/index.html
> >   scroll down the page until you get to "The
> Return
> > Flue Boiler".  You can also see a few pics of my
> > engine from when Brice Adams was the owner on
> Paul's
> > page.
> This it?
> http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/restore/huber/
>
> >        The gauge glass on my engine is on a water
> > column much like a Case engine.  I noticed that
> the
> > level of the glass and the lower test cock is
> below
> > the top row of tubes.  If left to get very low in
> the
> > glass the top row of tube will be completely
> exposed
> > and another partially exposed.  So long as there
> is
> > water in the glass there is adequate water over
> the
> > fire flue.  Please note that the top row of tubes
> in
> > my boiler is higher than the ones depicted in
> Paul's
> > picture.  Is there similar danger in flues being
> > exposed to the crown sheet being exposed?
> Since the hot gases have to travel the length of the
> fire flue and turn back
> into the tubes there should be much less chance of
> those tubes reaching
> anything like the temperatures possible for a crown
> sheet.
>
> > Will
> > overheated flues cause a dangerous flash steam
> > condition.
> >From what I have heard over heated tubes mostly
> just start to leak, at worst
> collapse.  Even if a tube could completely disappear
> you would have two 3"
> holes in the boiler which would result in a rapid
> release of energy but
> nothing like an explosion.
> The danger of being cooked would be much the same.
> Collapse of the fire flue is a different matter and
> could result in a
> release of energy at a rate that could be considered
> an explosion.
>
> > I know that I want them covered at all
> > times but do I need to move the water column?
> Where is the level at the top of the glass?
> I think I would at least mark the level of the top
> row of tubes.
>

> > =====
> > Andy Glines
> > Evansville, IN