[AT] Pitman rivets?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Aug 18 15:10:31 PDT 2004

LOL, Farmer.  You sound about as "bent out of shape" as my daughter got
when I was "restoring" a melodeon for Historic New Harmony.  She's got a
degree in historic preservation, so she thinks she knows something about
it.  She read me a riot act because I was going to the trouble to make
the thing playable again instead of just making it look nice for
display.  So I put in rubber-lined muslin for the bellows, rebuilt a
bunch of the key mechanisms, replaced the acoustic cloth, etc with
materials that were not authentic to the period of manufacture.  I even
used Elmer's Carpenter Glue!  To hear her talk, you would have thought
that I'd committed some Cardinal sins.

Speaking of the mix of hex and square bolts, one of the things I've
acquired over the years is a set of socket wrenches that are specially
sized to work on the galvanized fasteners that were common on farm
windmills.  I used them when I was disassembling the F&W model 26 that I
have in the back yard, but when I put in new fasteners I didn't bother
trying to find the exact replacements and I was able to use "modern"
wrenches.

Larry