[AT] Pitman rivets?

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Wed Aug 18 10:53:35 PDT 2004

    Rivets can be made in a lathe. Chuck the rod in the chuck about twice the
finished head needs to be then install a carbide tool in the tailstock, with the
blunt end toward the headstock. Run the lathe at maximum speed and apply
pressure to the end of the rod. The friction will heat the end of the rod and
the pressure will form a perfect head on the end of the rod, then cut to the
desired length and then form the next one.
    You will be able to speed up the process by heating the end of the rod with
a torch before applying pressure with the carbide tool.

                Gene