[Steam-engine] Article on Rynda's Auction.

Beth 24port at accesstoledo.com
Tue Aug 10 19:51:32 PDT 2004

Gee Paul, you really know how to wake the group up!!

We all have our own opinions of how the sale went & what people were
thinking-or not.  I question a few of Joe's comments for their accuracy, but
his perceptions & information may have come from separate sources than mine.
My ears heard that the prints of the British engine went back to the British
Isles & at least one engine to Argentina and one to the British Isles....or
at least that was the initial destinations.  The Advance stayed here because
it wouldn't fit in the crate....that I know for a fact.

As for the "slap in the face" for Gaar Scott's sale.  Welcome to an auction.
You snooze, you lose.  Flick & his partner bid on the engine fair & square.
Their intention was to re-sell it....it just happened before it left the
grounds.

I too, disagree with the "I didn't see a lot of ultra sounding going on."
and "most people were buying on a hope and a prayer that the boiler was in
good shape, and not much more."  We arrived on Thursday and witnessed a
tremendous amount of inspections (and speculation) going on.  Some engines
had more than others.  Cosmetically, yes, they were poor due to the lack of
cover.  However, most hadn't had a fire in them for decades.

The item that most need to keep in mind is that these engines represented
the full realm of quality...some poor, some mediocre, some great.  This is
the same for any engine being sold now.  We need to keep in mind that they
are in excess of 80 years old...much beyond the initial life expectancy.  I
know of some current engine sales that were sold with the understanding that
the boilers were in fine shape & upon further inspection areas of concern
were found.

As for the debate about the shows covering a portion of the engine's
inspection & hauling.  Hauling yes, inspections no.  The cost of the
inspection is part of being an engine owner.  Hauling is an exhibition cost.

Happy debating...as I prepare the Port & the Model A to head for LaGrange,
IN this weekend....yes, they pay to haul it in, but I pay for my inspection.

Beth