[AT] another new shop

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Mon Aug 9 06:02:24 PDT 2004

Bill Brueck wrote:
	When I had my coffee this morning, I happened on an article about
the use of heat storage tanks to go along with outside wood furnaces when
they are used with hot water heating systems. By using an insulated tank of
several hundred gallons capacity, the circulator for the wood furnace could
and likely should run all the time when the furnace is heating. Coupled with
an expansion tank, all the heat could be dumped into the storage tank and the
hot water heating system could then draw directly from it and not from the
furnace. Someone I know up in the Finger Lakes in western New York was going
to install one of these systems 4 or 5 years ago and maybe this week when I
go up to the Pageant of Steam and the Gathering of the Orange, I can stop by
and see how it works. If I remember correctly, the storage tank he had was
pretty large - somewhere between 500 and 1000 gallons the way it looked to
me. It was in the basement but not yet installed.

	I think you are right, Bill, that system that blows off cannot be
installed correctly. I have an "add-on" Adirondack brand wood fired boiler
that is intended to hook into an existing hot water system that someone gave
me 5 years ago. It is a very heavy round barrel shaped wood burner with a
second shell that contains the water that is heated and then routed into an
existing heating system. Someone told me I can use it as it by connecting to
a couple radiators but it doesn't look safe that way. Maybe it can be hooked
up along with an outside furnace and when I know more about this stuff I can
figure it out. It does not have a circulator attached but does have a forced
air fire box - no clean out except thru the main fire door. Sounds similar to
yours. Very well made too. Has the temperature controls top mounted and also
a pop-off valve. Electric damper controllers.

Cecil