[AT] another new shop

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Mon Aug 9 04:51:10 PDT 2004

Cecil, I bet that furnace that blows off steam is hooked up wrong.  The
water needs to circulate ALL the time, you control what heat you draw off
by controlling the secondary circulation at a heat exchanger:  the forced
air fan in my furnace plenum is the only thing the house thermostat
controls.

Hmmm, I wonder how this works with a hot water system like you have?  Maybe
the furnace and the house have 2 separate circulation systems and use a heat
exchanger?  If you hooked directly from the furnace to the radiators in the
house you'd have the problem you described.  A wood fire doesn't just quit
generating heat right away when you cut the air supply off.

The system your friend describes would have to be recharged with antifreeze
all the time.

Yep, mine's all closed with a small expansion tank.

B²
Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, Minnesota USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.