[AT] another new shop

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sun Aug 8 19:29:20 PDT 2004

Cecil, my unit is an Aqua-Therm out of Brooten, MN 612/346-2264 in case you
want to check with them.  Who knows if they're even still in business, these
things change.  I saw a model right after the one I bought that I think
would have been an improvement, it had an auger to pull the ash out of the
bottom.  I do end up throwing out a few coals when I clean mine out, the
inside of the furnace is just a round cylinder, nothing to help sort out the
ash from the coals.  I checked my files and do not find a BTU rating, but I
recall they did not recommend I buy the biggest unit for my application.

Other than whatever dies and gets cut up for fuel during the year, I burn
mostly oak slab wood.  You can see last fall's completed project at
www.apluscomputer.com/wrb/firewood_and_b.jpg.  That's about 2 years worth of
wood stacked up, more if the winters are as mild as last year.  (Hey, this
is legit for the list, there's a picture of a 1941 JD B there!)  The slab
wood really stacks nice and since it's mostly real straight I can pack the
furnace pretty full.  The longer pieces work well in this furnace; I just
make 2 cuts on the 10 foot slab and have enough margin of error that if I'm
off a little it will still fit the furnace.

Most of the units I see around here at fairs and such are set up for burning
corn now.  I've not run the numbers myself but the sales reps say at current
corn prices this is a cheap way to get heat.  Cripes, Dad used to talk about
doing that during the depression!

B²
Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, Minnesota USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.