[AT] A wasteland on TV

Vaughn Miller VMiller at messiah.edu
Thu Aug 5 06:31:31 PDT 2004

Cecil,

I put an antenna on the roof and get the major networks with out paying
anything.  If there is nothing interesting on the 5 channels I get, I pick
up a book or head out to the shop :-)

Vaughn Miller
Dillsburg PA

>>> cmonson at hvc.rr.com 8/5/04 9:08:57 AM >>>
	I've had quite a bit of time to spend inside the past 6 weeks
due to medical problems and have had a chance to take a look at daytime
TV to some extent. I have to admit I never realized what a total waste
it is and how shallow the programming has become. I can't believe that
with 80 channels available on our TV sets, how many are pure unadulterated
trash. I'm ashamed to admit we are paying $40 a month for this garbage
but don't know if there is anything that can be done about it. AOL Time
Warner is our provider and it didn't take long to figure out that they
are plugging in literally hundreds of cheap ads daily and flooding the
dial with them. As I was wondering about this the other day, I also
wondered if anyone on our List has written to the FCC to see if anything
can be done to limit ads and to try to get better programming? Sometimes
it doesn't take much to get something going. Movies are just repeated
over and over and over. I mean how many times can a person watch The
Quiet Man, or Last Train to Yuma, or Gunfight at the OK Corral and not
know every word that will be spoken?

	I understand that satellite TV is not much better but does not
have all the ads. One of my friends says he gets several farm channels
and one of them even runs programs on antique tractor shows in the
Midwest.
Do any of you get these on your TV sets and what do you think of using a
satellite as opposed to Cable TV?  I have to do something here to be able
to keep my sanity. I have Time Warner RoadRunner service on the computer
and can keep that whether I have Cable TV or not so I'm not worried about
losing this fast hookup.

Ceil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson