[AT] Names that have become generic

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Apr 1 19:47:13 PST 2004

Brian:

No wonder, a ME would never understand!  :-) I suspect the term "condenser"
got coined in the early days of automobile development.

It probably just stuck in that industry.  Here is an interesting web site
defining the meaning of condenser"

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/condenser

I suppose there is a chance that the Physics people called them "condensers"
and the electrical people called them "Capacitors"

Here is an interesting tidbit:

Condensers vs. Capacitors
The name "capacitor" was given in the US due to its capacity for charging
electricity. When capacitors were introduced to Japan, the English word
"capacitor" was translated as "chikudenki," which means a component that can
condense and store electricity. Later, people in Japan thought it was called
condenser in the US when they retranslated it into English. That is the
reason the electric component called capacitor in the US is still called
condenser in Japan.
Moreover, in another theory it used to be called the "condenser" in the
world, but recently there is also an opinion of having came to be called
"capacitor".

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

CRS = Having a Photographic Memory but a shortage of unused film.

www.deerelegacy.com