[AT] Small square hay bales?

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 8 07:59:44 PDT 2004

I've never weighed mine but I'd guess between 40 & 50 pounds. I like them to be twice as long as they are wide. That makes it easier to stack on the wagon and barn. I also like to keep them tight so they don't rock back and forth on the wagon. But my baler (IH 46) doens't always cooperate with the tying so I don't get them super tight.

I rotated some beans in last year on 7 acres and picked them with an old Gleaner E I aquired. Now this year I'm going to seed some alfalfa with oats as a cover. That seems to be what my buyer prefers for hay.

Brad