[AT] OT Question OT

Wayne Snelling wsnelling at southplainscollege.edu
Mon Apr 5 10:46:21 PDT 2004

Richard: The best option would be Windows XP, assuming you want to stay
with Windows OS.
The crash comes from  many things but usually will be devices that do
not have totally compatible drivers to run in ME then 98. Plus, it
(Windows ) becomes unstable if you do not reboot the machine on a
regular basis. If you go to XP use a "new" installation and not an
upgrade. Notice I  said installation not referring to the OS software
you will use. Either the upgrade version software  Professional XP (much
cheaper) or the new installation XP software will work. You just have to
have a copy of the ME around if using the upgrade version. I would be
tempted to use an OEM Pro XP version you can buy off the internet for
$40 or less, just buy it from a seller with many satisfied customers you
can verify.
Windows XP is fully Plug-n-Play (your computer is too, probably, if it
is < 3yrs old) and has drivers for all P-n-P devices but I still upgrade
the drivers and install all patches/fixes before I use any "new" machine
on the internet.
Go to your local Community College and ask the CS/CIS department if they
can help you with the upgrade. I do this in one of my classes for
students and/or teachers alike.

Wayne