[AT] OT Question OT

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Apr 2 14:11:13 PST 2004

Gateway bought out E-machines and then turned around and put the folks
from E-Machines in charge, since they had actually turned a profit and
Gateway hasn't been out of the red for 3 years. ALL Gateway/E machines
stores will be closed by April 9,2004. They plan on going to a web/phone
sales model with a few third party retailers (Wal-Mart, Best Buy)
carrying their machines. Any machine purchased prior to April 1 2004
will be covered within its warranty BUT it will have to be sent in or
pay extra for a tech to repair it since the stores will no longer be
there. Also ALL machines purchased after April 1 2004 will come with one
year warranties that will cover parts ONLY, no labor. That warranty can
be extended for extra cost. Phone tech support will be free for the
length of the warranty, after that it will be a pay per use. Gateway
will be eliminating a minimum of 2500 jobs as well as relocating the
corporate headquarters (again) this time to orange county to be closer
to the new Board members homes. The approx. 500 people at the current HQ
have been offered jobs in the new HQ but it will mean relocating.  For a
real eye opener Emachines has been outperforming Gateway the entire time
they have been around and turning a profit, with 139 people TOTAL,
Gateway has close to 3400 people and only made a profit in the first 2
years.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY