[AT] Residual fuel in gas pump hose

Brian VanDragt bvandragt at comcast.net
Tue Feb 14 18:54:57 PST 2023

It's about 1/3 of a gallon according to this video I just watched yesterday, and it can be a problem for small engines: https://youtu.be/TQZK-hcl5M4
-------- Original message --------From: Dean Vinson <dean at vinsonfarm.net> Date: 2/14/23  9:09 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: 'Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group' <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: [AT] Residual fuel in gas pump hose Hello, all.   Been wondering about the quantity of gasoline that remains in a typical gas station hose or whatever other plumbing may exist, between the business end of the hose and the point at which different grades of fuel can be supplied. I use a 1-1/4 gallon can for chainsaw gas, and when it gets low I refill it with 1 gallon of premium gas (prior to adding the 2-cycle oil).   Compared to the very small desired quantity of 1 gallon, seems like residual gas left in the hose from the previous use could be a significant proportion or maybe even greater than the amount I’m going to pump… so the net effect would be that I’d pay for the gallon of premium gas that’ll be left in the hose when I’m done, while I actually put a gallon of (presumably) regular in my chainsaw gas can. So in an abundance of better-safe-than-sorry geekiness, I pump a gallon or two of premium into my regular can for the gas tractors, or into my car’s tank, and then finish up with another gallon of premium into the chainsaw gas can.   That’s usually accompanied by a vague sense I’m being ridiculous and would most likely never notice a difference if I just started pumping straight into the chainsaw can. Anyone have actual knowledge of how the plumbing works and how big of an issue that could really be? Thanks very much, Dean VinsonSaint Paris, Ohio