[AT] Actual tractor question

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Thu Apr 13 10:44:13 PDT 2023

Ron,

I understand that cycling the cylinders “should” remove air, but not sure it always does that well.

I would try breaking a hose at the cylinder, and pumping a few gallons of oil through the hoses, 1 at a time. I would bleed the ‘up” hoses with the lift down, and bleed the “down” hose with the lift up if you have a way of holding the loader in the up position so that it does not fall when you break the hoses and move the lever to the “down” position to flush that line. The reason for that it to minimize the amount of oil on each side of the cylinder ram when you bleed that side.
An alternative is to remove the pin from the lift cylinder and disconnect it from the loader to extend it when you are bleeding the “down” circuit.
I would have something to catch the oil you bleed so you can refill your system after you bleed each hose. You do not want to run your pump out of oil.

I agree that a faulty hose (kinked, crushed, internal lining failure, object stuck in hose) could also cause problems. When you bleed the hoses, if 1 bleeds fluid slower than the other, that would be an indication of some hose issue. Replacing a few hoses may be a way to insure that the hoses are not a problem. Some loaders have combination of hoses and steel tubing – look for crimped or bent tubing.

Question – when you rebuilt the cylinders, was the inner cylinder bore good  all the way?? It is possible that the cylinder bore streched in the center, where it allows oil to bypass the cylinder seal at mid stroke, but seals fine on both ends. This is not a real likely thing, but it is possible.

Dennis