[AT] No A/C in Oklahoma in August!!!

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Sep 1 04:12:46 PDT 2022

Since the experience and knowledge on this list is so varied I am
posting this in case you guys can give me a little help.   Monday
evening we had one of OKlahoma's summer monsoons complete with 10K
lightning strikes per hour.   My Climatemaster Geothermal A/C system
quit and I did not know it until Tues night as my house is super
insulated.   I have 3000ft of 2in pipe buried 6-8ft in 3 500ft trenches
with 1ft of sand above and below the pipe.  I built this myself in 1985
when I had more time and energy and broke.

I have been trying to diagnose what has happened and really flying blind
on it because there is so much computer crap on this one and it is
already obsolete even though it was installed in 2010.  I also do not
have thermometers or flow meters on the ground loop.  The thermometers
died many years ago, and flow meters were terribly expensive when this
system was installed. I had a tech from a Climatemaster dealer in
Kingfisher come out and he looked at the system and really seemed to not
understand what was going on., Kept telling me that I probably added too
much Freon when it was low over 2 months ago, and kept telling me that I
needed to remove the Freon and vacuum it down and add only a certain
amount. But it was working fine before the storm. the circulating pump
was very hot. I threw another circulating pump on it and added a couple
of valves to make it easier to drain the system to replace the pump.
Same problem. I took the new pump apart to make sure it was running and
determined the check valve was reducing flow, the old one did not have a
check valve.   Removed the check valve and it ran longer before shutting
down. Finally able to get some numbers of the old pump I found the old
pump was a 5/16hp and the new one was 1/25. Also old pump was larger
inside. This is a 3 ton unit operating at 70% capacity, so only 9
gallon/minute max flow should be needed.  Not sure if there is a problem
with the head on the pump or the flow.   Another pump is ordered and
hopefully will be here today.