[AT] Dealing with landlords when needing rented land

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun May 15 05:43:36 PDT 2022

The development here will not stop until there is a big depression,
recession or reset or whatever they want to call it. My problem with
these people is they don't have the courtesy to call the renter and say
they are going to do something to change the area I am renting.  I never
got the point across yesterday to the daughter that her horses just cost
me $500 to $750.  Either I grow it or I have to buy it to feed.  The
other thing that really pissed me off was she was mowing the good forage
so her courses would have a place to graze.  The grass was about 10
inches tall and was the new crop....    I have wanted to live on the
farm I started on over 60 years ago.  When I got married a friend had
moved onto the place and my new wife did not want to share the well
etc.  When we  retired and my Dad died, that was the best time to have
moved.  Again, someone had moved onto the place.  I ended up severing a
55 year friendship when I evicted the squatter I had to dissolve the
handshake rental agreement.

I have always rented land on a verbal and handshake agreement. The
experience I have had with people here caused me to have a written
rental agreement and they still violate it.  Since they are neighbors
and I need the land to feed my cattle, I have no choice but to bend over
and take it.....    Common courtesy is very uncommon.
Cecil