[AT] IH 656

jahaze at aol.com jahaze at aol.com
Wed Jul 20 07:55:39 PDT 2022

Drilling and tapping might be your best option, followed by an oil change before firing it up.  Hopefully others who know more will chime in.
Enjoy, Joe

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 10:28 AM, Gunnells, Brad R <brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu> wrote:

 <!--#yiv9657451019 _filtered {} _filtered {}#yiv9657451019 #yiv9657451019 p.yiv9657451019MsoNormal, #yiv9657451019 li.yiv9657451019MsoNormal, #yiv9657451019 div.yiv9657451019MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv9657451019 span.yiv9657451019EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv9657451019 .yiv9657451019MsoChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;} _filtered {}#yiv9657451019 div.yiv9657451019WordSection1 {}-->
Ok, seems we need a little tractor talk here (but I wish I weren’t asking this!).

My dad went to replace the oil pressure sending unit on his IH 656. The sending unit was fitted into a brass elbow that screwed into the block. When he put the wrench on the sending unit it broke the elbow. So…here we are. We presumed that being brass it shouldn’t weld itself to the block and should just spin out with an easy out. Wrong! That little bastard is stuck in there good! Feeling a twist in the easy-out we didn’t want to risk breaking it off in there and compound the problem. We thought about using heat on the block as you would a steel bolt, but given the proximity we didn’t want to get things hot and cause a leak in the nearby gasket for what I presume is the timing gear cover.

Being brass we thought maybe we could take a sharpened punch and cut through and break the remaining part out of the block. While we got some of it, it didn’t really do what we’d hoped. I think we’re down to trying to drill it out. But I’m not fond of this idea as it’s an oil passage and any metal in there could be disastrous.

I figured I’d throw this out to the group and see if there’s anything we could/should do different? If we do indeed go the drill route we’d probably dip the bit in some grease to try and get any shavings to cling to the bit and remove it frequently to clean it off. Hopefully avoiding metal shavings inside. Then prior to installing the new pressure switch crank the tractor for a moment and let it push some engine oil out of the block hopefully flushing any debris.

Am I overlooking anything, or other options? I’ll also attempt to add a picture.

Thanks for any suggestions
Brad