[AT] Crankshaft Manufacture

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 11:45:59 PST 2022

Hi Bob - sure, you're welcome.  The only part of the process I've really
seen is the grinding - it looks just like that in any modern engine
rebuilding shop.  I could imagine most of the rest and not be too far off.
I like the offset chuck setup used to turn the crank journals.  Those
lathes are pretty ancient, but they're keeping them running,  and the
requirement for precision comes only at the end, with the grind.  That's
where you see some real attention to measurements (versus mostly rough
measurements and go/nogo tools in the earlier processes).  And as Spencer
noted, these guys know what they're doing.  Their pace and movements
suggest to me they get paid by the piece, not the hour.  You can see
there's no OSHA in this part of the world, wherever it is.  I've seen other
videos on this channel that are pretty clearly Pakistan (dirt floors, child
labor, open chemicals, no PPE...)

Steve O.