[AT] OT-Insurance question - Truck repair

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Thu Feb 17 16:50:52 PST 2022

I damaged the tailgate of my 2003 F250 7.3L Diesel several years ago by backing into a row of mailboxes.  The backup sensors never went off because the boxes and frame were up high and the sensors looked right under them. Face the same potential costs so I decided I will live with it but keep a constant eye out for a used replacement. Took me several months but I found one for $250 on craigs list. Same color, same fit. The old tailgate is still in the barn.   Tailgates are stolen quite a bit so they are not all that plentiful out there but you might get lucky,   A place to look is a shop that does bed conversions on pickups.  Like going from a standard bed to a utility or stock bed.  At one point I was going to make a trailer out of a used 8' bed off of a pickup that would match my pickup. Never got around tuit.  I found mine on Craigs List and the company was switching beds on their trucks so had extra tailgates.  Since truck prices have inflated so much in the last few years a used tailgate probably will be a bit more expensive. But how much is your deductible?   5th wheel owners quite often remove their tailgates and put in hitch friendly tailgates. So RV lots might be a good place to look as well.  They are out there just need to get lucky.

Dean VP
Apache Junction, AZ