[AT] OT-Insurance question - Truck repair

Carl Szabelski c.s.szabelski at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 07:00:14 PST 2022

Since you were driving the truck, you were responsible for driving it in a
safe manner to avoid any incidents. That makes you at fault for any damage
that may happen. I realize that you didn’t mean to hit the tree, but you
are at fault since that is how the laws are set. The argument would be that
you should have realized that there was a potential to slide on the ice and
should have not driven on it, especially since you were on an incline. As
far as you insurance, you can put in a claim and just pay your deductible,
or look around at local junk yards, or Craigslist, for a used tailgate and
replace it yourself. Another option is to live with the damage.  I
currently have a dent on the side of my bed from a trailer that jackknifed
in me in a tight area. My local shop gave me an estimate of $2K. They don’t
bump out dents on beds anymore, they remove and replace the entire bed
side. That’s a lot of cutting, welding, and painting. I could put in a
claim and pay my deductible, or probably find one of those Southern beds
for less and just do the swap myself, but for now I’m just going to live
with it as is. I’m sure there’s more dents coming in the future. That’s the
life of a pickup, no matter how careful you try to be.

Carl