[AT] Big Cats and Old Linns

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:46:57 PDT 2022

Having seen what it was like when Dad got his AC HD10 stuck, I cannot
imagine the effort required for retrieving a stuck locomotive-weight on
soft ground. For the soft muck we had when it was wet, it seems you'd
probably be ahead to bring in enough gravel to make a decent surface to
work from.  Dad stuck it a few times and worked out how to put an old log
chain through the rails and around a piece of railroad tie to add a cleat
to the track. Putting a couple on each track would generally allow him to
walk it out of a pretty nasty bog.

My uncle was pushing on the river bank (on about a 35 foot drop along a 30
degree slope into the river) and had a bolt drop down in the (hand) clutch
linkage (due to the angle) which blocked use of the main clutch. He didn't
get that Detroit shut down until the fan hit the water. From their
description (before my time), it took a (big) winch truck anchored to a 5+
foot diameter cottonwood tree pulling the line tight and letting it slowly
ooze it's way out of the muck between pulls. That beast may have weight 8
or 10 tons with the cable power unit and blade... I'm glad I didn't have to
tell Grandpa the dozer couldn't swim.

I live in the desert now too.

Ken in AZ