[AT] Saturday night amazement

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 17:23:39 PDT 2021

If you look closely at the spatial relationships between each shaft, the counterbalanced crank (whatever the proper term), the link to the V shaped part and the relevant leg of the V, you can see that at any position within a rotation, the relationships for both shafts are identical.  Thus they will always rotate at exactly the same speed.  The vertical movement of the V shaped part is close to a sine wave.  I have made no attempt to verify it as exact.  It probably varies somewhat in the way an IC engine piston varies from a sine wave.

An interesting note, there is no magic about the 90 degree angle.  The same thing can be done with the shafts at any angle as long as the V shaped part has the 2 legs at the same angle.  The shafts can be offset vertically as well.  You can even put the shafts at 180 degrees.  In that case, it becomes a reverser.

Jim Becker