[AT] Sad photo

Brad Loomis brad.loomis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 19:10:21 PDT 2021

That's about 100 miles south of me. We do get smoke and ash on occasion
from fires that are that far or farther away. Even being right on the
coast, if the winds are right we can get plenty. Two years ago when Big Sur
was burning we had the worst air quality in the nation. Having driven by
Gaviota where that pictured fire is, it is rough terrain. Right near the
Reagan Ranch, which was threatened for a while. Most areas in California
that burn are pretty gnarly for access to fight a fire. Unless you're in a
plane or copter. Scrub, manzanita, oaks, wild oats, mustard, foxtails, all
kinds of dry fuel that goes up in an instant. Ain't no raking as was
suggested. How do you rake 900,000 acres as is burning in Northern
California? This is a big state. I've watched the mountains above where I
grew up in So. Cal burn more than once going back to 1960 a year after we
moved here from Connecticut. It is definitely worse now than even 10
years ago.
Brad