[AT] Combing soybeans in Iowa

Bill Brueck bill at apluscomputer.com
Mon Oct 11 09:20:43 PDT 2021

I still have trouble comprehending the magnitude of farming and the rate of harvest.  I left the farm for college in 1967 and was gone for about 45 years when I started helping Linda’s brothers with the harvest.  My job was to run the grain cart.  Wasn’t sure how I would handle the big equipment but instincts were still intact and I knew where the load was behind me, knew how far to swing out to pull up to the semi or to catch the combine.

One thing I never got used to was estimating how much of a field was left.  I would look over at the remaining rows of corn and think about doing them with a mounted 2 row picker.  A couple passes with the 8 row head travelling at 5 mph and it was gone.  And 8 rows is modest equipment these days.

I miss the harvest this year but one thing I don’t miss is moving between the 2 farm sites, about 13 miles apart and some of that on heavily traveled paving as we had a river to cross.  Folks would pass when they shouldn’t, and making a left hand turn was especially harrowing as once in a while someone would pass just as you were turning…

Here’s a video of us in action, compliments of my grandson.  I would have chosen different music, LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfx_d8NTd0k

B²
Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.