[AT] To oil or not to oil pre--filter

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Fri May 28 19:09:10 PDT 2021

Clogged filters result in loss of power, high fuel consumption, and decreased speed. One the the main properties of the Abrams is the ability to “shoot and scoot” taking out targets with its stabilized system while moving faster than the enemy can track. Slowing down for any reason is not a good thing to do on a battlefield, no matter what you’re driving.

When we engaged enemy tank divisions during Desrt Storm, we were able to actually drive into the middle of them before their crew could even get a chance to mount their tanks. It was made easier because they formed their tanks the way they were taught to do by the Russians. Something our forces train to fight against. A few of our tanks took hits, but the rounds bounced off of our armor, except one that was apparently a hit from a very close distance. I used to have a picture of an Iraqi round fused to the front glacias of an Abrams turret, sticking out like it was intentional welded there.

Carl