[AT] Crazy pricing on construction job

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu May 13 20:24:31 PDT 2021

Stephen Offiler wrote:
> My rental property is a prefab built in 1989.  I purchased the property
> in 2015 so obviously I had nothing to do with selecting who made it.
> What I have done is renovation work that has shown me they really,
> really like their construction adhesive!  No matter who the manufacturer
> is, they all have to be built to handle the transportation from factory
> to job site.
>
> SO

Transport is part of it but most of it comes from the regulations on
them. The standards on a prefab are really interesting to see. I worked
in the cabinet shop at a local plant for a year before getting fed up
with it. There are different specs for the various parts of the country
and even different ones when you shipped to Canada. They actually have
crash test standards for them!
It was a real blast watching them being built though. We started with a
set of axles and bulk frame steel and built from there. My boss at the
time was also my fire chief and he ordered a new place while I was
there. He spec'd it out as a Canadian unit (that gets you a larger
breaker panel with breakers for each room instead of the common US
designs where the front bedroom, bathroom and outdoor lights are all on
one breaker style) It also has increased snow loading, better insulation
and closer spacings on studs and joists.

We also had different materials for items, from real solid
oak/cherry/maple to pressboard with paper facing. His was built with all
the top line materials. From start to finish it took us one week on the
line. That was for a double wide 62X32. The weigh them as they go out
the door to be sure the permits are just legal and his was a bit on the
heavy side, roughly an extra ton of weight in better materials and
insulation over the normal version.

--
Steve W.