[AT] Airflow calculations of perforated metal for radiator screens

deanvp deanvp at att.net
Thu Jun 17 21:02:17 PDT 2021

Brad,  I think the removable screen on a 425 or 445 is the same as your 455.  As I recall they are woven wire type.  If you need dimensions I can measure mineSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Brad Loomis <brad.loomis at gmail.com> Date: 6/17/21  5:49 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Antique Tractor Email Discussion Group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] Airflow calculations of perforated metal for radiator screens The 455 diesel lawn tractor I use at work has a pull out screen ahead of the radiator. I'm not there so I can't measure it. But I will try tomorrow and report back. It does keep the foxtails, thistle, mustard, and whatever else I kick up out of the radiator.BradOn Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 5:23 PM Cecil Bearden <crbearden at copper.net> wrote:I had to wash the A/C condensor and radiator out on my 2011 Chevy truck
yesterday before I could make a trip to pick up some auction items.   I
put the gauges on my a/c system and it showed 35 low and 350 high.
before I did anything I went to the water hose and got it down to 150
pretty quickly on the high side.  The amount of bugs was crazy.  I will
have to remove the radiator and condensor to get them clean as there is
no room to get anything in the front or behind the fan.   I have one of
those heavy cowcatcher style grill guards in the front.  This truck has
about 170K miles and has made 3 trips to Alaska, so it may have more
bugs than usual, but the bugs and thi8stle seeds are terrible here and
getting worse.  I want to put a piece of perforated metal behind the
grill guard to catch the bugs. If it cuts the air down, it can still
come in between the screening and the grill.  I don't think it will make
a lot of difference in the amount of air entering the radiator, but
maybe catch the bugs and fluffy crap in the air...     When we figure
airflow into a home, we cut the flow through a window in half when a
screen is used.    I am looking at a peforated metal with holes .188in
in diameter and offset centers so it gets the most holes per square
inch.   Does anyone have any experience with this type of screening or
have a formula to determine if it will cut the airflow too much. I think
the area behind the grill guard and the grill is wide enough to keep
from cutting down the air flow.  Traveling down the road at 60mph it may
deflect some air around the grill instead of through..

I just don't want to have to remove this radiator again.  I have to use
a stepladder to work on the d&%$^d thing it is so tall.  It is stock for
that year, but the manufacturers want to see how far the drivers can
jump to get into a pickup nowdays.  I remember a 63 and 66 chevy 1/2 ton
pickup we worked out of on the farm every day.  Hauled 20 head of cows
in a bumper  trailer with no brakes into OKC Stockyards.  Loaded 60
bushels of wheat to haul to the elevator when the lines were long and
the grain truck had not returned.  Now, I have a 3/4 ton that I have to
jump into or pull myself in with the steering wheel and 30 bushels of
rye in the bed causes it to squat, with twice as much tire under it than
the old ones had..   It doesn't ride all that much better,  just cooler
when the A/C works.   OK  rant off.....

Cecil