[AT] Air conditioning problems In my parts getter...

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Jun 12 08:55:06 PDT 2021

Cecil Bearden wrote:

> R1234y, and it is expensive.  I imagine it is developed by Dupont and
> they need to get their money back.  The patents ran out on 134, so they
> had to bring in something expensive again.  It is also flammable, So,
> why couldn't propane be usuable for refrigerant??  It is also
> flammable..  But a lot cheaper....
>
> Cecil

Now Cecil, you can't say that, they brought out R1234YF to save the
planet for the little children.  Just because the patent expired on 134A
and Dupont was pushing to replace it with the newly patented material
had nothing to do with it. Shame on you for thinking they only want the
money, it's to save the planet...  LOL

This question actually came up at one of the classes on this crap a
while back, the "Save the planet" answer was the party line, but most of
us had been through the same BS back when R-12 was dropped and commented
that at least then Dupont was honest and said that they were pushing
R134a due to the patent issue.

The one trick is that if the price on the 1234yf doesn't drop a lot,
there are likely going to be many conversions to R134a. If you pull the
R1234yf out, fully flush the system and swap out the drier to be sure
you got all the oil you can recharge with PAG and R134a and have the
system work just fine as the two are almost identical in operational
characteristics.

Just don't get caught because the EPA has tagged R1234yf differently,
it's now considered as part of the emissions system on the vehicles that
use it because the companies were handed carbon offsets for using it. So
swapping it out is now a violation of the Clean Air Act.
The fines start at about $10,000.00 after they are done dragging you
through the system.

As for propane, there was an Australian, Ian MaClaine-Cross pushing his
hydrocarbon based replacement as a drop in for R12 who managed to blow
himself up on camera, during a demonstration showing just how safe it was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0K1WPCWm2k

The resulting charges over it -
https://vasa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2005-May.pdf

Other MACS demonstrations of the same type -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO47SzxJmV0

--
Steve W.