[AT] Air conditioning problems In my parts getter...

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Jun 11 22:18:50 PDT 2021

Brad Loomis wrote:
> I hope you meant a detector for the current refrigerants and not NH3.
> Ammonia only requires your nose or a sulphur stick. And for those that
> may want to try their hand at refrigeration, a lot of the newer
> domestic/commercial units use either propane, R290 or isobutane R600a,
> as refrigerant. I'm not sure what the automotive industry is going to
> move to. I got out of commercial refrigeration not long after the
> requirements to recover and the end of R12, R22, R502, R11, and the rest
> of the chlorinated fluorocarbons.It was an awful time never knowing what
> someone put into what system. Then came 410a in A/C. Now that's going
> away. Customers didn't like to hear, we don't use that refrigerant,
> we'll have to recover it, time consuming, and charge your system with an
> EPA approved refrigerant, maybe have to change the oil, etc, etc,
> equipment was slow so labor costs were absurd. Like I said, ammonia is
> safe, easy, efficient, and well,  dangerous in the wrong hands. :)
> And the bigger warning would be to never pressure test any system with
> oxygen.
> And by this discussion it is apparent why automotive is the driving
> force for EPA  to regulate what goes into the atmosphere. A billion
> leaking autos is a lot of gas into the atmosphere. It just moved to HVAC
> and refrigeration because of the same gasses.

Auto was R-12, then R134A and the new kid on the block is R1234yf The
new stuff is $$$$$$$ and flammable. A couple companies are also playing
with CO2 but the pressures in those make it unlikely they will end up
being used anytime soon.

A 10 pound cylinder runs close to $900.00 at the moment. 8 oz cans are
about $50.00 a pop.

If you are doing it as a business you need a lot of new toys for leaks,
testing and repair which is why I'm in no rush. Still a majority of 134A
vehicles around here. Not in a rush to spend big money for the new
machine, detector and testing equipment and a quick skills update for
the 609 crowd.

--
Steve W.