[AT] Air conditioning problems In my parts getter...

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Jun 11 19:03:14 PDT 2021

Brad Loomis wrote:
> In the trade one always uses nitrogen. Co2 has moisture, bad in sealed
> systems. Of course you're supposed to evacuate to <500 microns but...
> I once had a13oz. R-12 system that I never found the leak. From 150psi
> nitrogen to my brand new, then, Inficon leak detector.
> Check your Schraders after you put the caps back on. You may be surprised.
> Why I preferred leak finding after I moved to NH3. Easy, save for having
> to cut the skin off a double stainless jacketed 155,000 gallon tank. But
> the leaks were always in the same areas.
> Brad

Depends on the shop, I know of some that use shop air! I've had a few
leaks that didn't show up under system pressures in operation, but once
equalized from setting overnight you would find a bad seal or O-ring
that wasn't seated quite right. Had one that would leak under pressure
but would hold a vacuum forever, that was a piece of rust that acted
like a check valve!

--
Steve W.