[AT] Air conditioning problems In my parts getter...

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Jun 10 19:16:28 PDT 2021

Cecil Bearden wrote:

> I have repaired my own systems for over 50 years. I refuse to work on my
> wife's 2017 Grand Caravan. have to remove the battery box to get to the
> high side port. However, 2 years ago it only had 1.25 lbs in it, 2.5
> full. Dealership vacuumed it and charged and found no leaks. Last week,
> something sounded like a popoff valve at the right rear and air
> conditioning was not as cold as 10 minutes before. Yesterday evening,
> went to wash car and it ran for 30 minutes without cooling at all.
> Dealership checked it today and only had .25 lbs. Held vacuum for 20
> minutes without dropping. The recharged it with dye and let it run an
> hour and rechecked. No leaks. Any idea where it is going..??
>
> I baled about 6 acres of wheat/grass/weeds that I cut yesterday.  I
> wanted to bale it green so it would go through a sweat and kill the weed
> seeds.  It made 21  4x5 bales.  They were heavy since the green was
> still there too.  The cows had grazed on it for over 10 days, It would
> have made another 10 if they had not bedded down in it so much..  I let
> them graze out 10 acres and they nearly nubbed it to the ground.  The
> wheat I sowed in March is still coming up!  I am going to spray the
> entire field for weeds and then try to sow cane or hay grazer for some
> hay.  I have to get it cut off to sow wheat by the end of August.  Here,
> if wheat is not sowed by the end of August, it won't get any rain until
> almost November..   Field across the road was in wheat I think, and they
> cut it for hay and now it has resprouted  8 inches.  They were applying
> liquid fertilizer on it today, guess they are going to try for double
> cropping.  Maybe they sowed ryegrass on it, it will regrow.
>
> Cecil

That one still has 134A in it I believe. Sounds like it also has the
rear AC option. I would suspect one of the rear lines, but they should
have found that if it's leaking that fast. I use CO2 for testing these
days as you can buy a nice cheap chemical that changes color fast when
exposed to small amounts of it and you can spray it around the system,
then charge with CO2 and usually spot the leak much faster than with
dye. Then it's a simple matter of venting the CO2 out, repair the leak,
  pull a vacuum and recharge. Currently I'm not touching the 1234YF
stuff yet, way to expensive to buy all the gear to do it when it isn't
all that common in used vehicles around here yet.

--
Steve W.