[AT] Goodbye 430V - and more

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Sat Jul 10 14:06:06 PDT 2021

Thanks for all the kind words - I do appreciate it and its great to have
folks I can count on to have best wishes for my health and happiness.
As a side note, I got a phone call today from Alan Nadeau - a long time
list member.   It was good to hear his voice and to hear all is well up
in Vermont.

I have to get ready for my trip to Indiana and have some other things I
need to attend to before I leave so I need to keep this short but I did
want to give you - as Paul Harvey said - the rest of the story.  It
rambles a bit because I am in a hurry so apologies ahead of time.

Some of you probably were thinking "Why don't you sell the Ford 861
instead????"   I did sell the Ford:  for $800.   "WTH!!" I am sure you
are now thinking.  I sold it for so little because because a week ago
Friday it threw a connecting rod )-:   Maybe I'm a little dark but there
is something pretty exciting about an engine imploding on itself and the
Ford didn't disappoint.  Lots of smoke, noise and loss of power.   My
neighbors said they heard it (-:   Fortunately it didn't knock a hole in
anything.  So compounding this whole Space-Money-Time thing is I needed
to buy a replacement farm tractor - something with remote hydraulics,
40+ HP, etc.  The 430V could not fill those shoes.  Hence the money side
of things became even  more important.   The 430V became the only
reasonable choice to sell.

The night the rod broke I listed my motorcycle and the Ford to help
soften the financial blow of the replacement farm tractor. Surprisingly
both sold right away after the 4th of July holiday so on Thursday I
brought home a 1977 Ford 3600 that I started eyeing on Craigslist as the
replacement farm tractor.  Not an antique (Hell I remember them when
they were new) but "classic" maybe?   I soon will only own the 3600 and
the Pacer.   This is the lowest number of tractors I ever owned since
the very early 1990s when all I had was the Farmall "A" with a Woods
mower.  I hope you folks don't kick me off the list (-:

Been a real busy 8 days but I should be in shape for second cutting when
I return and get a good weather window.  Well - maybe.   I need to buy a
haybine.   Yea - sold mine in May.  But will have to leave that crazy
story for another email.

--

Spencer Yost