[AT] OT, but diesel power related

Mogrits mogrits at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 19:19:23 PDT 2021

This August, I'll be headed back to the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speed
Week. If you've never been, you should go. It's the event where all the
land speed records are set. For the last few years I've been going and
pit-crewing for Salty Box Racing with the world's fasted production diesel,
"Sooty", which now has the record somewhere around 220+ in class B/DT. It's
a compound turbo 6.7l Cummins that produced over 1300HP in an early 2000's
crew cab Dodge long-bed pickup.

This year we are bringing a Streamliner with the same sort of engine setup
and will be going for a record well over 300mph. I don't think the car has
a name yet but I'm sure it will earn one on the salt flats if it doesn't
break the drivetrain. Streamliners are what most people probably picture
when they think about Bonneville. It should be a blast to see one of those
"roll coal", and boy can that setup do that.

I got to drive Sooty on the salt a couple years ago and qualify for some
licenses and the torque and power of that setup is terrifying. You can
follow along via internet stream coverage this year by starting at
landracing.com from there you will find a link to the live audio coverage.
Speedweek starts sometime around the weekend of August 8th

Warren