[AT] Cold cold weather in Oklahoma

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Feb 17 09:37:45 PST 2021

We are struggling with high 60’s here in AZ.  But… I would be amiss if I didn’t mention the winter of 1961/62 in NW Iowa. 26 days in a row where it never got above 0 degrees. Typical night time temps were in the 40 below zero area or even worse.   Snow so high we had flags tied to the aerials of the car so we could see cross traffic. Burning 55 gallons of kerosene a week to keep a 42’ trailer warm.  1956 Ford Crown Victoria(wish I still had) would start every morning even standing outside.   Got stuck in a snowdrift one morning and blew the transmission. My wife was due in days to give birth to our second daughter. Panicked and bought a new car so I could be prepared to get her to the hospital. At 6:00AM she wakes me up , it is time to go. Had just got the new car home the night before. New car wouldn’t start.  Had to call a cab.  That was February 22, 1962.    For some odd reason our address the next winter was La Mesa, CA. Southern CA was like heaven then.  Wish I could say the same about it now. Parts of AZ around the Phoenix area reminds me now of what So California was like in the early 60’s.  As long as the water and electricity supply lasts it will go on for quite some time.  Sad part is a lot of the rich agricultural land is turning into housing developments. Progress isn’t always good.  But I get to work on my antique tractor in an open lean-to any day I want to with at worst an extra long sleeved shirt on. I cheated and ran away from the cold temps in IA and WA states in the winter.  But know a little about what you folks are going through. Not fun.

Dean VP

Apache Junction, AZ