[AT] Snow and the 620

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Wed Feb 17 06:14:50 PST 2021

Dean & all:

This brings back memories of my youth - during one of the big blizzards
in the late 1970s (not sure if it was 77, 78, or 79) my dad set out,
after the snow stopped, with a similar setup with a 6' blade to plow out
our driveway (attached to either a 620 or to a Farmall 300) - which was
the better part of a quarter mile from the state highway that fronts the
farm. However, while the snow had stopped, there was a strong west wind
blowing across the north-south driveway...Pop had started down at the
road and was working his way back toward the house; he had plowed out
about halfway up the driveway when he looked back at where he had
started - and saw that it had already drifted in to a point where he
couldn't tell he'd done anything.

My dad, being the smart guy that he was (and boy, do I miss him, even
after 5 years) just picked up the blade and drove the tractor back to
the shed. He waited until the wind died down before trying again - which
was the next morning. Fortunately for the folks, they didn't need to
leave the farm for anything, just keep the cattle fed.

I think this might have been the same winter that Pop had to plow roads
across the fields in order to be able to haul hay (big bales) to the
herd. The snow was so deep that the cows used his roads instead of
walking through what was hip-deep to them! Smart animals, too.

Stay warm, all! Snowing again here in Missouri.

Mark J

Columbia, MO