[AT] Backpack leaf blower

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 04:08:24 PST 2021

Hi Mike:

Sounds like a reasonable conclusion.  Between getting work done with a new
one, and farting around experimentally with the old one, you made the call
that's right for you.

Have you played around with piston rings much in the past?  They are quite
brittle to begin with. I'm not sure whether overheating would make them
even more  brittle, but, maybe.  I think if they were seriously affected by
heat, they might be discolored too.

Another good call with concern about other internals.  Specifically,
bearings.  Mains, conrod, and piston pin are all lubricated by that tiny
bit of oil that's carried in with the gas mix.

Hey,  while we're here, I'll put in a plug for synthetic 2-stroke oil.  I
am a Stihl guy (Stihl vs Husky is like JD vs Farmall or Ford vs Chevy!) and
Stihl packages 2 different products.  Little orange bottles are the
regular, "perfectly OK" stuff, and for more money you get silver bottles
with the synthetic oil.  I use silver bottles.  What I have noticed over
time is that (a) the gas doesn't go stale (b) very little smoke or smell
(c) I have never, and I am not exaggerating, NEVER purchased a spark plug.
I've got a saw that's probably about 15 years old now, a weed whacker must
be going on 20, and a hedge trimmer that I got at auction, who knows how
old.

Best regards,
Steve O.