[AT] tractor electrical question

Carl Szabelski c.s.szabelski at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 06:28:55 PDT 2021

Seeing the voltage change from 6V to 12V when the points open/close doesn’t
make sense, it should stay constant. The voltage should be applied to the
primary side of the coil and the points should be on the secondary side.
Any opening/closing should affect the secondary side. You need constant
voltage applied to the primary side to keep the magnetic field constant.
When the contacts open the magnetic field builds up in the secondary, and
when they close the field discharges to the plugs.

Also the points act as a switch. If you think about a wall switch that
turns on your room lights, the voltage at the lights changes when you open
or close the switch, it’s full or zero, but not half.

Carl