[AT] Electric Farm Tractors

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Fri Aug 20 15:29:41 PDT 2021

Deere has built a few, and their earnings report today said something about building small ones .. I'm not allowed to say more than that.

The problem with electric tractors is you fill a tractor with batteries and it will put out 100 horsepower doing everything any other 100 horsepower tractor will do for about 45 minutes and then you have to recharge.  A Tesla might be capable of 600 horsepower, but after a few seconds it is up to speed and drops back to about 20 horsepower, and even then you only get a few hours.  Anyone who wants to run their tractor more than a few hours is stuck with diesel for the foreseeable future in my opinion.

Though for those who don't use their tractor all day electric makes sense. I'm planning on buying one myself to rid me of all the hassle of gas cans. For mowing my lawn and clearing my driveway of snow it is obvious.

--
  Henry Miller
  hank at millerfarm.com