[AT] Off topic

ustonThomas Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 15 19:40:03 PDT 2021

 No not at all.  Very interesting.
I got my inspiration by watching the TV repairmen. I grew up spending summers on the farm and contemplated farming for a living. Worked on a lot of Farm Equipment.
I was repairing TV's in middle school, Repairing AC units in High school. The AC and electronic work was supported by a Uncle who worked on the Apollo Program at NASA.  He taught me Refrigeration and supported my electronics interest. He learned his skills in the submarine service in WWII.
I built all my test equipment by building Heath Kit projects. Built my first Color TV and a cabinet for it in Middle School wood shop.Then computers showed up and I was hooked. I designed the computer center for the third company I worked for and supported 100 person Engineering Department.  Plus doing product designs along with everyone else.
Dad taught me to work on Engines and  During Collage I worked in the largest printing plant in the SW.  They printed all the phone books for the SW United states.  One summer I helped print Play Boy Magazine. My dad was a printer by trade and I worked for him.
Out of collage I worked at the printing plant plus a job designing packaging machines for Frito Lay and many other food packaging companies.
Then got into Optical Sorting Machines.  Sorting peanuts, coffee beans, Tomato's, diamonds and much more.
Then switched to Seismic Exploration equipment for the Oil Patch.  Designed data acquisition equipment.   Designed Seismic Vibrator trucks Air Guns for Marine exploration etc  I even designed down hole tools for logging Oil Wells.
Used all the skills and learned from many sources.  My degree was Electronic Technician.  My work was Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Software Engineering.  All learned as I went. I took an alternate route just like you. Would not had it any other way.
Of course I had some help. I had access to PHD's with special knowledge and learned new skills as I went along. I can run a Milling Machine, Engine Lath ect.
My only disappointment Is I never learned to weld. In Middle school I drove my Boy Scout leader Nuts looking over his shoulder and helping him with his Hobby.  Building Hot Rods.  He was a welder but I could not convince him to teach me how to weld. He passed before I was old enough I guess.
Never Stop learning or asking questions. I love to hear other persons stories and yours Is impressive so far.
I did not get married until late in life.  40 years old. I had to slow down after that. Could not work twelve hours a day and weekends to boot.