[AT] tractor electrical question

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 25 19:35:21 PDT 2021

Got what I hope is a simple question. On my IH 454 tractor, is the
voltage going to the coil a constant 12V? I'm having some issues with it
running bad when it gets hot (I've already replaced everything but the
plug wires). Found out today that if I run a jumper wire from battery to
the coil, the problem goes away. Take it off problem comes back, put it
back it goes away, take it off, it comes back. So I am tracing the
wiring but this one isn't simple, new enough there are tons of gauges,
fuel solenoids, safety switches, etc. Anyway, if I check voltage at the
coil, the fuel solenoid, and there is one small terminal on starter
solenoid that all read 12V if the switch is on. If I bump the engine
over slightly (I guess the pts are closing) then the coil and starter
drop to just under 6V, fuel solenoid stays the same. So shouldn't there
always be 12V at the coil?

John Hall