[AT] shop equip

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 13 14:35:25 PDT 2021

Kind of quiet on the list so here is a bit of fodder.
The time has come to add a new piece of shop equip. The only lifting
mechanism in the farm shop here is a generic engine hoist. I need to
pull the engine out of my small Deere combine so after much deliberation
I have decided to install a gantry hoist. I bought a Harbor Freight 1
ton hoist and am in the process of replacing the top I-beam with a
larger and longer one. When done it will span the width of the shop.
It's on wheels so I can keep it in the back and then roll it to the
front for projects. I had a engineer friend run analysis on the
"conversion" and it will safely hold 1,000 lbs (about the weight of the
engine).
I hope to get it installed next week, got about 5-6 weeks before the
combine needs to go to the field.

John Hall