[AT] Another Hurricane

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Sun Sep 13 16:00:24 PDT 2020

Don’t know what their forestry management system is, but the winds and mountainous terrain don’t help. The wind spreads embers great distances, and the valleys and mountains don’t allow them to get equipment where it does some good.

In 1871 the upper half of the lower peninsula of Michigan burned down to the ground because of the Great Chicago fire. The winds that fanned the fire in Chicago carried embers clear across Lake Michigan (northeasterly) and ignited fires all over the northern part of the state. That’s a long way for a wind to carry embers. More people were killed in that fire then were killed in the Chicago fire, even though the Chicago fire was localized, and the Michigan fire was spread over such a large area.

In Michigan we cut fire lanes in the forests that allow water trucks and other necessary equipment to get directly to any fire that may start. The lanes are cut to create large squares so that a fire team can get to a fire and fight it from all four sides if necessary. We can do that because we don’t have the large number of mountains and valleys that California has. I doubt that even if they tried to create fire lanes like Michigan, they would be able to create manageable areas that would help.

Carl