[AT] Starter installation trick on the later two cylinder JD Tractors.

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed May 20 11:20:49 PDT 2020

 Mark,
All 730D's are pretty much alike. The Black Dash 720D was only made in 1958  and had several changes from the Green Dash 1957 720D.  There were several changes to the engine between the two years and then from then on the 73o's all had the same engine as the 1958 Black Dash 720. There were some clutch improvements also made between the 1957 and 1958 720D's. However, the most visible difference between the 1957 720D's and the 1958 720D's are of course the Black Dash and the Plastic, more deluxe, steering wheel.  I can go into more detail if needed.  The 1958 Black Dash 720D's mechanically are essential the same as the 1959 and 1960 730D's. The 730 changes were all cosmetic and tied JD over another couple years due to the delay in getting the New Generation tractors ready for sale. So a 1958 720D is essentially the same engine, same drive train, same everything as a 730D except for the tin. There are purist who beleive the 20 Series were the last of the real Two Cylinder tractors. The change in cosmetics on the 30 series violated that older hood look that had been around for 25 years or more. As an owner of a 1958 720D can tell you they are real animals. Also own a 1958 520 and 1958 620. All Black Dashes.  My favorite series of JD tractors. All the Bells and Whistles that one could get in that era. It was during this era of JD tractors that JD overtook I/H in the number of Agricultural tractors built per year in North America.  Yes, JD overtook I/h in tractort Sales with what was supposed to be an obsolete design. The 20 Series was that good and reliable and due to I/H's mistake of increasing HP without increasing thje strength of the drive train in the X60 Series, JD became the leader. I/H upgraded the X60 Series tractor drive trains out in the field but it was too late.  Then when the JD New generation Tractors came out in late 1960, 1961 models, JD never looked back and soon became the leader in Total Agricultural Equipment Sales in the US. I/H never caught back up and during the farm recession in the 80's I/H finally had to merge with Case to survive.  I/H line of tractors were very good but too many management mistakes were made.